MIMAS INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
That "Aesthetix Sound"
Over four years in development, the challenge of delivering the Aesthetix Sound in a more accessible package has been fully realized. The same volume control used in our award-winning Calypso was borrowed for use in the Mimas. It consists of 88 1dB steps, utilizing individual switched 1% metal film resistors. The volume control has long been considered one of the most difficult design challenges of a preamplifier, with more compromised designs utilizing potentiometers witch impart the music with a dullness due to loss of detail. Others use inexpensive integrated circuit based volume controls which have good matching between channels and small step size but impart a hardness and glare to the sound. Our volume control avoids these pitfalls. It is costly, but worth it.
Fully Differential and Balanced Amplification
The preamplifier section utilizes one 6DJ8 (6922) vacuum tube per channel in a fully differential, balanced configuration. Again borrowed from our Calypso preamplifier, this circuit will balance a and provides voltage gain before the power amplifier section. This stage uses Roederstein plate load resistors from Germany, Reliable Capacitor coupling capacitors from California, USA, and a solid-state current source. Tubes are burned in for over 100 hours before testing. Our tube testing regimen includes full FFT distortion analysis, gain matching to within .1dB, microphonics and noise levels.
Big Power, Stable Power
For power amplification, we again looked to our existing industry standard products and borrowed a derivative of the output section from our Atlas amplifier. This power output section is fully discrete (no integrated circuits), fully , , , output operating in . It is capable of 150W into 8 ohms, and nearly double into 4ohms, with both channels driven. Aesthetix painstakingly matches individual FET input devices and bipolar output devices, to ensure channel matching, linearity and stability driving any speaker load.
"Overbuilt" Power Supply
A key part of any Aesthetix piece is our devotion to overbuilt, advanced technology power supplies. Mimas is no different, incorporating no less than seven fully regulated power supplies. Fundamental to any power amplfier, the high current power supply is provided by a separate center tapped transformer winding capable of 750VA and feeding 176,800uF of capacitance for a total energy storage of over 110 Joules. The high voltage supply for the vacuum tubes is a fully supply with over 220uF of capacitance supplied by a separate high voltage . Mimas' input circuits are operated by a fully supply with over 4,400uF of supply capacitance. supplies are fully DC regulated. The 900VA , incorporating 5 separate secondary windings, is designed and manufactured by Aesthetix in our facility in Moorpark, Ca.
Gorgeous to Hear and See
Casework and industrial design has also been a hallmark of Aesthetix components. An all aluminum machined enclosure manufactured in Santa Barbara, California provides the foundation for performance and cosmetic appeal. The chassis is .125" thick. The transformer is shielded from sensitive audio circuitry by a stainless steel cover, further adding structure and rigidity. The faceplate incorporates 5 machined aluminum buttons, and a novel volume control interface is integrated in the display lens.
Mimas contains a wide array of features in a deceptively simple design. All features are included in a no-compromise fashion; a feature is only included if it will not impede performance in any way:
- 5 inputs, both balanced and single ended: Whereas most companies offer 0, or perhaps one or two balanced inputs on their integrated amps, Aesthetix highlights its commitment to balanced technology by offering balanced (XLR) on each and every analog input.
- Headphone output: Standard headphone output is 1/3 watt into 32 ohms. As an option, a 1 watt into 32 ohms fully , class A amplifier is optionally available. Headphone output is automatically selected when a headphone jack is inserted. Headphones or speaker is easily selected on the front panel or remote, allowing headphones to remain plugged-in if desired.
- Home theater bypass: Each analog input can be defined as a home theater bypass input, allowing easy incorporation into a more complex theater system while maintaining pure two-channel sound quality.
- Preamplifier output: Mimas contains an actively buffered preamplifier output, which can be used to drive a subwoofer or separate power amplifier. The preamp output is fully , and available on XLR balanced jacks and RCA jacks.
- Display: The front panel display is based on and has fully adjustable brightness and Aesthetix' . Fourteen element characters display the selected input name, and two larger seven element characters display the current volume.
- User convenience: Each input can be given its own 4 character name, defined as home theater bypass, have an offset level to match other sources, set the input on or off. Headphones can be turned on or off in software, left / right balance, startup level, maximum level, display settings, and factory presets can be restored.
- Control: An IR extender is available on the back panel, using a 1/8" stereo jack. This is useful in systems where the Mimas front panel IR receiver is not accessible, such as placed in an enclosed cabinet or separate room. is standardly available on a DB-9 connector.
Mimas offers a wide array of options, allowing customization to unique system configurations or user needs.
- Phono card: MM / MC phono input card, fully FET-based, high gain differential circuit utilizing Wima film capacitors from Germany for RIAA and power supply bypass. Front panel and remote adjustable gain and loading.
- Digital to Analog card: 2x RCA (coax), 2x TosLink (optical), 1x USB. 32KHz, 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96Khz, 176.4KHz, 192KHz. 16, 20, 24 bit depths. Fully balanced analog circuitry utilizing Wima film capacitors from Germany. USB utilizes Wavelength Technologies' asynchronous implementation.
- Headphone amplifier: Mimas comes standardly with a 1/3 watt IC-based headphone amplifier. As an option, it can be configured (or added later) with a fully discrete Class-A 1 watt into 32 ohm headphone amplifier. In addition to the amplifier, the headphone wiring is upgraded to Mogami.
- Upgraded Remote Control: Backlit, motion sensing, brushed aluminum remote control (pictured in the Photos tab above).
- High pass crossover: A hardware adjustable high pass crossover. This is ideal for systems using a subwoofer requiring the main speakers to be rolled off. Four crossover frequencies are available and adjusted in hardware: 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz. All slopes are 6dB. Custom crossovers are also available.
MIMAS IMAGE GALLERY
click any image to enlarge
Power Output: 150W into 8 ohms, <1% THD; 280W into 4 ohms, <1% THD, both channels driven.
Input Impedance: 20Kohms single-ended, 40Kohms balanced
Bandwidth at full power: 4 - 150kHz
Rated THD at full power: <1%
Inputs: 5 line RCA or XLR (balanced)
Volume control: switched resistor network volume control with 88 1 dB steps
Dimensions: 17 7/8" x 17 11/16" x 5 1/2" / 43.4 x 44.9 x 14 cm
Weight: 44 lbs / 20 Kg
Shipping weight: 51 lbs / 23 Kg
Finish: black or silver
Warranty: 3 years, non-transferable
Specifications subject to improvement or change without notice.
MIMAS TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS
SPECIAL EVENT >> NUTS ABOUT HIFI >> JUNE 2, 2018
Calling all Hi-Fi aficionados
Listen to the all-new Mimas Integrated hybrid amplifier, chat with Aesthetix founder Jim White, enjoy light refreshments courtesy of Nuts About HiFi.
Saturday, June 2, 2018
Nuts About HiFi